Haringey Council tonight refused permission for the Grand Palace, in Wood Green, to operate Lap and Pole Dancing, ased on 13.7 of the licensing policy, Adult Entertainment in proximity to schools etc.
As well as Wood Green, there is an application in Exeter (heavily opposed) that is being heard on wedsneday
As previously revealed in the Echo, the EX4 bar, in Fore Street, wants to transform its top floor into a late-night lap-dancing and pole-dancing club called Eden Lounge.
The bar’s owner has applied to Exeter City Council for a change in its license so it can hold erotic dancing — including private naked shows — and extend its hours until 3am at weekends.
The proposals have prompted concerns from police who said the current control and management of the bar is an issue.
Objections have also been received from local residents, businesses and the nearby Mint Methodist Church, in Fore Street.
John Bean, alcohol-related crime reduction officer for Devon and Cornwall police, said: “Our representation is mainly based upon crime and disorder issues which we’ve had at the premises.
“There have been a number of problems there recently.
“There are concerns about the premises and we are in close consultation with the owner and manager.”
The Rev Andrew Sails, of the Mint Methodist Church, said the introduction of a lap-dancing club into the area would be a “dangerous and unwelcome” move.
In a letter of objection to the council, he said: “Our concern is that the introduction of lap dancing would tend to attract those who could use it as a cover for criminal aspects of the sex industry — including trafficking.
“It would also increase the risk that girls and women nearby would meet with unwelcome, intimidating and/or offensive attention and even physical attack.”
Mark Honeysett, manager of Walkabout bar in Fore Street, has also objected to the lap dancing application because of noise.
But owner of EX4, Ali Anvari, insisted the club would be well managed with tight security.
He said: “We have had a meeting with the police about the plans. They wanted to see how the place is going to be run.
“We are aware that the police have had some concerns about the bar.
“We had a meeting with the superintendent about our buy-one-get-one-free offer, which they wanted us to stop, which we have now.”
The plans are due to be discussed by the city council’s licensing sub-committee on Wednesday.
Congratulations to all those involved in their successful campaign
VICTORIOUS campaigners who fought a long-running battle against plans for a lapdancing club are celebrating after the owners withdrew a legal challenge.
Residents near The Crescent bar in West Kensington were dismayed when owner, Passion Nights, applied to turn part of the venue into a strip club, fearing kerb crawlers and prostitutes would be drawn to the area.
An appeal was launched at West London Magistrates’ Court after councillors threw out the plans in November – but was finally withdrawn this week in the face of wide spread opposition.
Patsy Heavey, of Stonor Road, who put together a petition opposing the club, said: “We are relieved and obviously pleased.
“It has definitely affected the people living directly opposite, just by being a late night venue. It’s already causing a disruption and people are being inconvenienced.
“The 200 people who showed up at the licensing hearing showed how much people were willing to go out on a limb about this. It rallied the entire community.”
Safer neighbourhood team co-chair Joe Carlebach, 48, of Vernon Street, said: “Our concern was that a lap dancing club would bring more crime, especially with sex workers and kerb crawlers.
“It’s also right next door to a library where my children go, and I don’t want to have to explain to my four-year-old daughter what a lap dancing club is and why people are hanging around..”
And Lindsey Pitt, 40, of Edith Road, said: “Everyone thinks it’s fantastic. We’ve been campaigning since October last year because we we worried that it would bring crime, prostitution and disorder,” adding: “We wish them every success as a bar.”
Residents have been monitoring anti-social behaviour around the venue for the past six months, and the evidence they collected could well have led to the owners’ change of heart.
Planned changes in legislation are also likely to make it easier for councils to clamp down on lap dancing clubs in the future.
Ealing, Acton and Shepherd’s Bush MP Andy Slaughter, who has been fighting alongside the residents, said: “I am delighted by this outcome. I have put a lot of effort into the campaign – asking questions to the Home Secretary, petitioning locally, holding a public meeting and giving evidence at the licensing panel.
“But the main credit must go to the thousands of individual protesters and the organising committee of residents. This is a textbook case of how to fight and beat commercial interests intent on destroying a local neighbourhood for private gain.”
Sandrine Levéque, of ‘sex object culture’ campaign group Object, said: “Local women and men in West Kensington objected in their thousands to the application and did not want see sexism endorsed on their high street.
“The club’s decision to withdraw reflects the power of collective organising and emphasises the need for new robust licensing laws.”
The Ealing Gazette contacted The Crescent but no one was available to comment.
The former ‘Charlie Browns’ opposite the Civic Centre in Wood Green have applied to become Haringey’s 1st lap dncing club (we have so far succesfully dodged that bullet) – it has been turned around in record time and will be heard before the council on tuesday night. We will, of course, let you know what happens…
A fantastic response to our online petition – we are especially grateful to all who left comments – they leave us (and Haringey Council) in no doubt as to what the massive majority of Crouchenders feel about the application. Please keep spreading the word – sign here if you have not already done so.
Yesterday we received the encouraging news that the application hearing has been postponed, and is off the table for the foreseeable future – however, it has bot been withdrawn, and we must still see it as the threat that we did, until we hear confirmation that it has been withdrawn.
Please continue to spread the word, and continue to get people to sign the petition – petitiononline.com/lapoff
Many thanks to all who have done that so far.
Got this email form Haringey Licensing today –
We have received notification from the solicitor acting on behalf of the applicants for Music Palace requesting the matter be postponed from the planned hearing on the 14th May 09.
The applicants need time to resolve an issue raised by their landlord, and possibly planning issues.
The matter will not be listed in the near future at the request of the solicitor and they have requested that they contact us at a later date with a view to either requesting the application to be listed or to be withdrawn.
There is no need to attend on the 14th May 09, if the matter is re-listed, rest assure that I will contact all parties to advise of any new dates.
BLOG COMMENT : Encouraging news – this does not mean that the fight is over – but watch this space…
Please continue to spread the word about the petition etc as Lap Off! will remain until the application has either been withdrawn or defeated.